Once widespread across California, only four L-601 towers remain in the Dept. of Forestry inventory. Calandra Lookout with an BC-301 cab was constructed in 1944. The name of the mountain is actually Williams Hill. There is a stone and concrete monument at the site which has a bronze plaque that reads: “Calandra Lookout is named in memory of Assistant State Forest Ranger Joseph Calandra who saved a companion but lost his life in the Bixby Mountain Fire of 1939.” In 1945 Assistant State Forest Ranger Nesgis and Edward Gates of U.S. Forest Service died in a fire within sight of this station.
Site was inspected on 11/4/19. Aluminum clad has protected the structure, which can be brought into service with moderate restoration. However, it is surrounded by 8 separate communications towers, and a radiation evaluation is needed before any further time is spent in the tower. The summit of Williams Hill can be reached by dirt roads through BLM recreation area.