PANDEMIC-RELATED TOWER OPERATIONS
April 10, 2020
Fire tower lookout operations fall under the 3/19/20 California Governor’s Executive Order N-33-20, as Essential Workforce, under Public Safety, Fire Mitigation Activities.
These regulations are drafted for tower operations of the California-South Division of the Forest Fire Lookout Association for the Spring of 2020, in the atmosphere of the 2020 Coronavirus/ Covid-19 pandemic. They can be modified by each operational entity within the Division as necessary.
1. Volunteers with flu symptoms, such as cough, sneezing, fever, etc. are prohibited from working in the lookout towers, and shall not schedule a shift. If a shift is already scheduled, they shall notify the scheduler.
2. As there are no practicable means of disinfecting binoculars, volunteers must bring their own for tower duty, and shall not use “community” binoculars or spotting scopes. All personally-owned binoculars brought to the tower will be labeled with the volunteers’ names.
3. Lookout partners shall not carpool to the tower, as this would violate the 6-foot distancing standard.
4. They will maintain the 6-foot distance from each other while on duty.
5. Volunteer lookouts will wear face coverings that cover the mouth and nostrils while on duty. They may remove it temporarily while speaking on the tower radio, for clarity.
6. Visitors will not be allowed up the stairs or into the cab for tours.
7. Lookout volunteers will clean all desktops, countertops, radio surfaces, including push-to-talk buttons and control knobs, and the fire finder with a disinfectant at the beginning, during, and at the end of their shift.
Partners who live in the same dwelling are exempt from items 3, 4 and 5.
All volunteers should contact their tower leader if issues with these regulations are encountered.
Click on the button below to download “Medical Emergencies” as a PowerPoint slide show.
You must have access to the Microsoft PowerPoint application to play the slide show.